So last night I had my first emergency Med Express trip with E. He is in that climbing state where he feels like he needs to climb on everything. Well, yesterday he climbed up on a Rubbermaid tote, which my husband calls his “soap box.” We were sitting no further than 6 feet away from him, reading the paper, when he leaned too far over and fell, hitting his head off of the track to the sliding glass door.

As soon as I heard the “thunk” I went into panicky mom mode. I jumped off the couch and scooped up E. As soon as I picked him up I saw the gash on his head and knew that we would be needing to get stitches. This was the first time as a mom I have had to experience that sort of panic.

My husband was also feeling that burst of adrenaline. He raced upstairs to grab his wallet and ran outside to start the truck. I had been folding E’s laundry so there was a towel in the basket, which I grabbed and used to put pressure on his cut.

Luckily, we have a Med Express about 5 minutes away, so we loaded E in the car (he is still screaming bloody murder) and hurried to MedExpress. I swear, I don’t even remember the car ride.


When we got there they confirmed that E would need stitches, the cut was too large to use glue. As the doctor described what she would need to do for E, I could see my husband was getting a little woozy. Apparently, he doesn’t like describing medical procedures.


E ended up getting five stitches in his forehead but he took it like a total trooper. Within 15 minutes of getting home he was back to playing as if nothing had happened. I was way more traumatized than he was. In fact, he had already gotten Motrin and was fast asleep and my heart was still racing. I had a really hard time falling asleep last night.


This morning, despite having had somewhat of a rough night, he was back to playing as if nothing had happened. Not to mention that he was back to climbing on the EXACT SAME TOTE he fell off of.

Thirty One Large Utility ToteNeedless to say that I will be replacing all of those Rubbermaid totes with the Thirty One Large Utility totes. At least he won’t be able to climb up on those.

He doesn’t seem to be at all phased by his experience yesterday. I guess these things end up being way more traumatic on the parents than they do the kids. I am just so glad it wasn’t as bad as it couldn’t have been. I am also thankful to all of the staff at MedExpress who handled it so well and got my son back to being as good as new.

Sharing is caring!

Similar Posts


  1. Oh my goodness! Bless his little heart. Yes, I think all parents have had the daylights scared out of them like that. I hate those parenting moments! I’m glad he is ok. Those Thirty One totes will be much cuter anyway, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

  2. Awww ๐Ÿ™ A couple of years ago my youngest bounced herself right into the corner of an end table and the bridge of her nose was so swollen for DAYS that she looked like a brown version of one of the Avatar people… It happens. Good thing kids are so resilient — glad he’s okay! ๐Ÿ™‚

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.